Monday, May 12, 2008

Thank You, Mom

There is something I never thanked my mom for until yesterday. It never occurred to me...until I became a Mom of three sick children, all of whom spent the majority of Saturday throwing up. I ran (sometimes literally) from one child to another, rubbing their backs and keeping their hair out of the way, and praying for them as they were getting sick in the toilet, on their beds, blankets, floor, toys, etc. I am still not caught up on all the laundry that was soiled yesterday but I think my bathrooms are cleaner now than ever before. It was in those moments of caring for my precious children, I thought back to my own mom. She would place a cold washcloth on the back of my neck and rub my back when I was a kid getting sick. And even more than that, she cleaned it up when I missed or didn't make it time. Never complaining, just doing it because she loved me. Thanks, Mom.
The television was on downstairs all day yesterday as my children lay sick. This was the first time that has ever happened at our home. After the second hour or so, Kennedy spoke up, "Mom, you can't let us watch this much t.v.. Our brains are going to turn to mush!"
.
Yes, they do listen to us sometimes. But I reassured her that one special day of television while they are sick will not quickly make oatmeal out of their brains.
.
So needless to say, Mother's Day was not at all about me this year. That's okay. I'm totally fine with it. But I am hoping that perhaps we can try a do-over some other day. A spa treatment would be great (hint, hint, Honey) but I'll be happy for a chance to sleep in and have my healthy children pounce on me after, say 9:00 AM with a vente americano w/ cream and one raw sugar, along with a pumpkin or whole wheat cherry scone (another hint for you, Babe).

2 comments:

Organized Chaos said...

Sorry to hear you're day wasn't the best, either. Thanks for the comment about my post.

I just walked in the door with my tall Pike's Place Roast from SB and it seems to be helping my mood...its gray and rainy and I totally feel like I'm in WA...expect there weren't any drive thru coffee places so I got soaked getting my joe...but well worth it.

Our Four Kids said...

Jen, you are the epitomy of Mother's Day. That's what it's all about. Even though I knew what was going on, your skill at writing had my eyes tearing up. I hope you do get that spa treatment and some special downtime after this weekend! Love you friend!