Saturday, July 25, 2009

She's Our Happy Anniversary Baby

It was early in the morning on our 13th anniversary. I woke up, unable to sleep and made my way to the kitchen with good intentions of starting a batch of blueberry muffins. Instead, I was distracted by the computer. At exactly 6:08 AM, I began having contractions that were uncomfortable and different from the ones I had been experiencing the days before. I began timing them and they were consistently 8 minutes apart and getting stronger. I woke Ken up, showered, got the children dressed and loaded in the van, and we were off to the hospital where Ken's dad met us to take charge of the children for the day.

I was happy to be greeted by my doctor at the check-in desk at 7:15 AM. I was checked and admitted to my room. This turned out to be my longest and most painful delivery. It wasn't until 10:20 that I was ready to push. And at 10:29, she was born. Perfect. Pink. Healthy. Beautiful.

We were surprised by her head of dark brown hair. I think we were both expecting another blond girl. She really is her own little person and doesn't look too much like any of her siblings.

Ken and I celebrated our anniversary that night with McKinley in the hospital room. He went and picked up take-out from a local mexican restaurant. Candles were not permitted in our room, and it wasn't exactly romantic, but it was a perfect way to celebrate our 13th anniversary with the best gift that we could ever have imagined.

McKinley Rose ~ Five days old

"Thanks be to God
for His indescribable gift!"


2 Corinthians 9:15

3 comments:

Jen T. said...

What wonderfully delightful news! We're so happy to have seen you three on your anniversary/birthday! God is so good and we're so blessed to know you! Thanks for sharing your story.
Love,
Jen, Dave, Jessalynn and Krista

Organized Chaos said...

That is a beautiful picture! Love it!!! Cograts, she is beautiful

angie said...

I showed this to Jack and he said ,"Oh, she is so cute." and then went on to play cars.

angie