Friday, June 5, 2009

National Doughnut Day

It's National Doughnut Day, and you know what that means --an excuse to add extra calories into our day!The Salvation Army created the holiday in 1917 in order to boost the morale of troops fighting in WWI. According to holidayinsights.com, those doughnuts were fried in oil inside an American soldier's metal helmet. National Doughnut Day is always celebrated the first Friday in June.

To mark this grand event, we visited Krispy Kreme this morning after eating a healthy bowl of Cheerios. Each of the children were given a free glazed doughnut and then helped pick out a dozen of assorted to enjoy over the next few days.
Doughnut Olympics

After dinner, the children raced to see who could eat their doughnut off the string first. Though Jack and Harrison finished first, only Kennedy and Michael followed the rules and ate hands-free from the string.

Harrison asked tonight if there is such a thing as National Popcorn Day. I am going to have to look into that.

2 comments:

Our Four Kids said...

You are such a fun mommy! Remind me next year to plan for the day!

Grammy said...

What a great way to celebrate a national holiday I've never heard of! My kids (and I) were so deprived! I love watching all your fun activities from my quiet home!
Love,
Grammy