Thursday, April 23, 2009

7th Annual Ladies Weekend

Last weekend marked the seventh year that I was able to get away with my lovely sisters-in-laws for a weekend of adventure and relaxation. We jumped a ferry to the San Juan Islands on Friday afternoon and didn't return until later Sunday evening.Saturday morning we drove out to a lighthouse and walked along the path looking for orcas.



Our next stop was an alpaca farm on rolling green acres. The creatures are so curious; with their teddy bear faces and long necks.



We drove to Roche Harbor for lunch on the pier. It is a quaint little town worth another visit.

We enjoyed a local sculpture park. I felt a small connection with the above masterpiece.

My sisters-in-law are an amazing bunch. We are like pieces of a mosaic; so different, yet we fit perfectly together.


We took a short hike up to this grand mausoleum. It was built in honor of one of the founding families on the island. There is a stone table in the center with seven chairs, representing each member of the family. But an empty space remains where one child's chair was left out. It is rumored that that particular child married outside the Methodist faith and was therefor no longer considered part of the family.

Sunday morning we walked along this beautiful beach lined with driftwood, listening to the sea otters on a neighboring island. It was so peaceful and relaxing.


On the way home we decided to stop off in Mount Vernon to visit the daffodil fields. Yes, aren't they lovely?




As it turned out, the daffodil stop was not worth the above photos. We were all ready to get home, but the one lane road that lead back to the freeway was backed up for miles. We spent at least an extra forty minutes inching along at just a couple miles an hour. Jen and Heidi got out and walked for a ways and met back up with us near the end of the line.

Looking back over the last seven years, I think this was my favorite ladies weekend. I was so in need of a break and this weekend came at just the right time. It was relaxing and encouraging. Beautiful. When I returned, my wonderful husband and precious children never looked so good. They were outside playing in the yard, happy and glad to see me. They had planted a cute little flower garden while I was away and my home was filled with notes and cards from them telling me that I was missed and loved. I know that I returned a better wife and mother because of the break. Ahhhhhh! Ladies Weekend. Thanks to the Dads who made it possible.

2 comments:

Our Four Kids said...

So glad you had such a wonderful weekend! You are truly blessed!

Anonymous said...

it truly was a wonderful weekend! perfect synopsis jaylynn! hat off to the photographer:)love you sis..