Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Simple Christmas Traditions

1. Advent Calendars. Each day the children open the designated door to find a small chocolate waiting for them as they count down the days until Christmas.
2. Celebrating Jesus' birthday with peppermint ice cream. We wait until December to purchase the well-loved candy cane ice cream. Each night that we enjoy it for desert, we light a candle and sing happy birthday to Jesus before blowing it out and savoring our yummy treat. 3. Christmas books. This is one of my favorite of all Christmas traditions. I wrap books about Christmas for the children. Most of them have the true message about Jesus' birth, but some are just for fun, like The Nutcracker or Frosty the Snowman. Then each night, a different child gets to choose a book to unwrap for Mom or Dad to read out loud. The unwrapped books stay out for the children to read throughout the month of December.

1 comment:

Organized Chaos said...

Your the second person that I've heard of with the book tradition...I like this and I think I'm going to start it, too.