Saturday, December 19, 2009

Nutcracker and Ice Skating

I took Jackson and Kennedy to see the Nutcracker. Kennedy loves the ballet. It was our fifth consecutive year seeing it together. Jack had been asking for a couple years if he could go, so this year I decided he was ready. He was very polite during the production and only once did the lady in front of him turn around and ask him to keep his feet off her chair. But when it was all over, he said that he didn't care if he ever saw it again.



A few years ago, Kennedy and I started going ice skating after seeing the Nutcracker. It has been a neat way to top off our day. Jackson was thrilled to join in the tradition. It was his first time on the ice and he did an amazing job. He fell continually, but every time, he got right back up and tried it again. I loved his determination and perseverance.

Kennedy enjoyed herself, too. She is growing up though and did not want to hold my hand while skating this year.

We finished off our time with some peppermint hot chocolate and a visit to the model train inside the Seattle Center House. It was a lovely day with my precious children.

4 comments:

Cribbs Half Dozen said...

What a fun day! Isn't it so fun to just take the older ones to do special activities?! I think it's like a vacation when I'm just with my older kids that can do so much for themselves. It's definitely a sad moment when they don't want to hold hands anymore....

Wish we were closer so we could do these fun activities together!!

Grammy said...

Great commentary, Jen! Papa and I love the detail in your writing. The happy faces of grandchildren enjoying special times with their parents bring us such delight and satisfaction!
Love,
Grammy

p.s. Letting go of their hands (picture an invisible rubber band between you) means you are doing a good job of parenting. Enjoy the next few years watching the band stretch further then returning, always picturing her Lord at her side ... until one day someone else wants to hold her hand. (huge sigh) We're praying for you!

Our Four Kids said...

Aw, I just read what Grammy said. Almost made me cry as I go through the same things right along side you, sister! Words of wisdom!
Love you!

Kelly said...

I would have to agree with Jackson. I saw the Nutcracker once... and I am totally satisfied with that. I dont need to see it again. I guess I'm not much of a ballet person. But I'm glad that you and Kennedy have made a tradition out of it! And one day I'm sure Mickey will love it too.
=0)