Tuesday, March 24, 2009

How Sweet it is to be Eight Years Old!

Today our little girl turned eight years old. Where did the time go? I remember old ladies telling me to cherish every second of her youth, while she was just a baby. I recall politely nodding, but thinking to myself, "She'll never grow up. She will be my baby forever."


(Here she is only moments after birth...eight years ago)

But somehow we made it to this point. She isn't a baby anymore. She is a big girl, with big dreams and a big heart.

Today we had a beautiful time celebrating the lovely young lady that she has become.


First, she was greeted with a big banner that hung over the kitchen entrance that read, "Is it great to be eight?"



Then we sent her on a scavenger hunt around the house to find clues that finally lead to her purple tub full of gifts.

Here she is with her new monkey watch and bedroom accessories.


She chose to have her favorite breakfast; Over Night French Toast.

Next on the agenda was a trip to R.E.I. to climb the Pinnacle. It was her idea. Last night she asked about it so we made reservations.

Jackson and Daddy did it too. Dad was fun to watch as he scaled the structure like Spider Man. He was up to the very top and back down again in a matter of minutes.

For lunch Kennedy chose to take the Monorail to West Lake Center. The kiddos all thought that was a great idea and enjoyed "riding the train."

She picked sushi and bubble tea for lunch.


Next we walked to Pike Place Market. It was windy but the children were troopers.


Our sweet little birthday girl ...

Dad treated the kiddos to a couple dozen mini donuts. That made the windy walk worth it.


The day was finished off with her choice of orange chicken and rice for dinner, followed by angel food cake with "whoop" cream and strawberries.


We tucked her in under her new bedding. She is sleeping now. I just checked on her and again, I marvel at how big she is and how eight years has passed by so quickly. As I fast-forward eight more years, it is hard to imagine her driving a car and attending high school. But I now know how quickly it passes by. I am taking the advice of the the little old ladies to heart and will truly try to cherish every second of her youth.

4 comments:

Our Four Kids said...

Happy Birthday, sweet Kennedy! We love you!

Way to have me in tears by the end of the post, Jen! They do grow up WAY too fast! Glad we get to enjoy the journey with you all!

Love you!
~Steph

Anonymous said...

Kennedy, it looks like you had a day full of fun activities, treats, and surprises. Your brothers probably LOVE your birthdays because they get to enjoy everything with you! Papa and I are grateful for the eight years God has given us to watch Him glorify Himself through YOUR life, Kennedy!
We LOVE you!
Grammy

Anonymous said...

Hi Kennedy Monroe,
Happy Birthday! It looks like you had a great day with your family celebrating your birthday! I bet it is great to be "8". I love you, and hope to see you soon!
Love,
Auntie Angie

Anonymous said...

My Dearest Kennedy,
I love seeing you on your mommy's blog. You look so beautiful, I wish I could be there for your birthday. I miss you so much.Hope to see you soon. I love you with all my heart.
Gramma Karen