Saturday, January 9, 2010

Capturing Christmas Day 2009

Christmas morning the children awoke to lights, gifts, the scent of cinnamon rolls and a tea ring, and a letter from Santa.It was addressed to Harrison, thanking him for the cinnamon roll and reminding him to tell his brothers not to shine their flashlights in anyone's eyes. The stockings were stuffed and waiting to be opened.
MickeyMikey Hare-BJack-OKikiThis year we decided that in place of big gifts, the children would receive experiences. The three oldest children were surprised to open Karate gi's and find out that they were going to begin Karate lessons in the new year. J and K were given art lessons and all the children received a gift certificate for a local bouncy house.
Dad's big gift from all of us was a pair of cowboy boots. I love that he wasn't expecting it. I think he's worn the boots every day since he got them. I rarely nail it on the head, so I've been very pleased with his satisfaction over our gift.I didn't plan on purchasing gifts for the children other than their stocking stuffers and experiences. But when I was at the western store, I thought that it would be neat if the children had cowboy boots, too. I caved.

My lovable red necks.

We went to my grandpa and grandma's home for a celebration with the extended family. Here are the Christmas birthdays; December 21, 23, 25 & 26.

McKinley's first Christmas. What a delightful child.
It was a nice Christmas with family. I enjoyed the company, delicious foods, sparkles, and carols. Something was missing though. Throughout the month of December we had focused on Jesus as the reason for Christmas. We read the account of His birth from the Bible as well as from many children's story books. We played with our manger scene and placed the crown of thorns on top of our tree. We sang, "happy birthday to Jesus" as we ate peppermint ice cream and appreciated the Sunday school crafts that our children made in preparation for Christmas. But when Christmas morning actually came, we got caught up in the lights, stockings, treats, etc. We didn't pause to give Jesus His place in the day. I regret that. When our celebrating was over and most of the children were tucked all snug in their beds, I snuggled up in my bed with Kennedy and we took turns reading from the book of Luke about the first Christmas Day.

No comments: